Monday, August 11, 2014

Beauty Review: Is GlamGlow Worth the Price?

GlamGlow offers a variety of mud treatment masks, including the GlamGlowSuperMud Clearing Treatment and the GlamGlow YouthMud Tinglexfoliate Treatment.

After hearing all the hype and rave reviews, I finally broke down and purchased two of the mud treatment masks in the GlamGlow line a few months ago. The GlamGlow YouthMud Tinglexfoliate Treatment and the GlamGlow SuperMudClearing Treatment aren’t cheap, but they do cleanse and enhance the skin like no other masks I’ve used before.



The half-ounce size of GlamGlow Tinglexfoliate (pictured above) is $19. The full-size 1.7 ounce jar is $69.

I first tried the GlamGlow YouthMud Tinglexfoliate, purchasing the half-ounce sample size for $19 at Sephora. The product is designed to exfoliate the skin, deep cleanse the skin and tighten the pores. It contains French sea clay to absorb impurities. The volcanic pumice rock exfoliates the skin. And its teaoxi technology helps natural ingredients like green tea leaves, lavender, eucalyptus leaves and antioxidants help repair and stimulate skin cells.

I apply a thin layer and leave it on for 10 minutes. As the mask dries, it turns from a dark gray to a light gray while tingling and tightening the skin. You can see the mask opening up the pores and pulling out the debris and oil. The tingling sensation doesn’t bother me, but it may prove to be irritating for those with sensitive skin. So you may want to test the mask on a small patch of skin. When I rinse the mask off, I rub it into the skin in circular motions to exfoliate.

I noticed a difference immediately after the first use. My skin looked smoother, brighter and noticeably softer. It cleansed my skin without stripping it. And my pores looked smaller.  

The 1.2-ounce full size of the GlamGlow SuperMud Clearing Treatment costs $69.
After using the GlamGlow Tinglexfoliate for a few weeks, I contemplated buying the GlamGlow SuperMud Clearing Treatment because I tend to have oily, clogged skin in the summer. However, this particular product doesn’t come in a smaller size. So I would have to purchase the 1.2 ounce full size for $69. But luckily I came across a GlamGlow set at TJ Maxx that contained a full size of the GlamGlow SuperMud Clearing Treatment and a half-ounce size of the Glamglow YouthMud Tinglexfoliate for $39.

The GlamGlow SuperMud Clearing Treatment is designed to address breakouts, discoloration, black and white heads, razor bumps and in-grown hair. It contains proprietary charcoal to draw out toxic substances and K17 clay to extract oils and bacteria. The treatment also includes Acnecidic-6, a proprietary blend of six AHA and BHA acids that repair damaged skin, unclog the skin and minimize pores. Like the Tinglexfoliate, the SuperMud Treatment also has teaoxi technology,

The GlamGlow SuperMud Treatment works essentially the same as the Tinglexfoliate. You apply a thin layer to the skin. As it dries, the mask turns from dark gray to light gray and tightens. You can see the mask drawing out the oils and debris from your skin. However, the treatment does not tingle like the Tinglexfoliate and does not have any physical scrubbing beads to exfoliate the skin. I believe the AHA and BHA acids serve as a chemical exfoliant, but as I mentioned, the mask did not have a burning or tingling sensation that you would expect for those types of acids.

Like the Tinglexfoliate, the SuperMud Treatment absorbs the impurities in my skin, leaving it feeling super clean without drying it out. My skin always feels brighter and smoother after I use it. 

GlamGlow's Pore-Matrix Technology features a charcoal-based formulation to draw out oil and debris and clean pores.
I use these products weekly. I use the Tinglexfoliate once a week, and then I alternate with the SuperMud Treatment the following week.

While both of these products are expensive, a little goes a long way. According to the packaging, the full size jar has enough for 17 masks or 1,000 spot treatments. My small half-ounce jar of Tinglexfoliate lasted for about six masks. I still have a lot left of my SuperMud Treatment after using it about six times. If you can’t afford a facial at a spa, the GlamGlow masks are bargains.

As I mentioned, the full-size 1.2 ounce jar of the SuperMud Clearing Treatment is $69, while the full-size 1.7 ounce jar of Tinglexfoliate is $69. But you can try the small half-ounce size of the Tinglexfoliate for $19. In addition, Sephora has the GlamGlow Instant Ready Skin Kit, a limited edition set that features a full size and a half-ounce size of the Tinglexfoliate for only $69. 

No comments:

Post a Comment